The Omloop het Nieuwsblad is the first one day race of the year in Belgium and for many it is the marker for the real beginning of the racing season. With that having been raced on February 29, attention will turn to the Aptium West Head Road Race on March 1. So time to start finding the form.
This March race we are having a Super Masters division, which will be restricted to riders who are currently 55+. OK Boomers, time to get your entries in via Buncheur – franking credits not accepted as payment.
Love your racing? You can get a season pass here. This gives you entry to every West Head race in 2020 at a discount rate.
Racing start times as follows:
- 7:00am A Masters 40+ – 3 laps
- 7:02am B Women – 2 laps
- 7:15am B Grade – 3 laps
- 7:30am C Grade – 2 laps
- 7:35am Super Masters 55+ – 2 laps *NEW*
- 7:40am A Elite – 3 laps
- 7:50am C Women – 1 lap
- 8:00am D Grade – 1 lap
What’s new for 2020?
- Later start time. We are moving things back a touch to make it easier to get to the race without the super early alarm. Not a huge change but just a little tweak to make it easier to get to the race (especially for Elites), while still fitting in with the constraints from NPWS to be finished on time. We’ll be tweaking this a little but expect 7am start for our first grade. All entered riders will be notified of exact start times.
- Different order of grades starts. Our A elites will start later in the proceedings. We’ll keep the elite race as the final spectacle while providing a later start time to give our elites a little more sleep in.
- Shorter distance for A grade. We are moving from 4 to 3 laps for A grade and A masters to keep the racing fast and fun. Other grades will remain as they were with B grade 3 laps and C grade 2 laps. This also helps the later start and reduces the time our volunteers are working. If you need more k’s then go via Akuna on the way home.
- Women’s grades. After trying a few formats for 2019, we are trying to settle on a sustainable model. Our A-graders tell us they want to race with the blokes, so A women can choose whatever grade A, B or C they want to race. We will hold two separate women’s grades, Womens B and C grades, at 2 and 1 laps respectively. If you keep coming, we can keep putting on grades to suit.
- Super Master’s grade. We are trialling this one for March. We expect to pull a few riders out of the Masters Grade, some out of B Grade, C Grade and a few new riders as well. If you are over 55+ then put yourself in this grade and let us know how it works out.
New sponsors. We welcome Aptium Financial Services, Volkswagen and DHB clothing to headline our races this year. Along with our fantastic returning sponsors Smartline Mortgage Advice and Bill Buckle Auto Group.
The start/finish line and presentation area is located at the Elvina Walking Track Car park on West Head Road. Which for first timers is located about 1.5km along West Head Road on the right hand side. We would request that you do not park in the Elvina Walking Track car park – this not only assists our marshalls when they head up there to set up for the finish, but also assists with our relations with the National Parks. This also gives riders more room to hang around in post race.
$25 Entry – with a Race 2020 licence.
Race Date: 1 March 2020
Race start time is 7am for A Masters.
Sign on from 6:30am.
Race sign on and start/finish is Elvina Walking Track, West Head Road.
Toilets: No toilets at the race start/finish. Toilets are located at Terrey Hills Community Centre, Church Point, or past the race start at Resolute picnic area.
Enter Online: Enter HERE
WEST RACE DATES
West Head Race dates for 2020 are listed below. Put ’em in your diary! These are also listed on the MWCC event calendar.
- 1 March
- 5 April
- 17 May
- 14 June
- 26 July – Battle of the Bridge
- 16 August
- 13 September
- 18 October
- 8 November – Club Championships
- 13 December – The Wall
New to racing?
Racing is relatively simple to do so stop putting it off and just do it. Here are some tips to get you going and you can read a full guide here :
- You need a RACE licence from Cycling Australia. There are short and long-term options available. If in doubt, choose MWCC as your club! CA is also running their Bring A Mate promotion so ask a friend who is already a member to nominate you. We also offer free memberships for first time women and juniors – just email the club president.
- Enter the race online at Buncheur.com via the link at the top of this page. Make sure you do this by Friday before the race.
- On the day, arrive 30min before your start time, sign in at the desk and grab your race number. Ask someone to pin it on and you’re ready to go.
- Work out how long it will take you to get to the course whether you are driving and/or riding.
- Bring enough food and water for your race distance plus riding to and from the race.
- Check out the course before the race if you haven’t been to West Head. This will make it easier on race day.
- Want to go faster? Get specific and train on the course. Do some efforts on a non-race day and it will help with the intensity of the race.
- Tried your first race and got dropped? You won’t win it first go. Racing takes some getting used to, both strategically and physically. Commit to coming back and you will see yourself improve. One or two goes won’t do it.
If you use gel or energy wrappers, please put your empty wrappers in your pockets and take them home with you. The National Park is not a rubbish dump.