As the weather cools down, the local racing heats up and a sure sign the road racing season is upon us! The April road race of 2021 is one not to be missed. We have something for everyone with 9 grades available (including 3 separate women’s grades). And yes our ladies will get equal prize money! New racers are very welcome, and can email or message us if you have any questions. Lots of info below for those who need it, so read on. Thanks to our sponsor Bill Buckle Auto Group. If you’re looking for a new car then check our their range of Toyota, Volkswagen, Subaru, Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles.
Race Day: Sunday 25th April 2021
ENTER NOW via Buncheur by 8pm Friday 23rd April.
The start/finish line and presentation area is located at the Elvina Walking Track Car park on West Head Road. Which for first timers is located about 1.5km along West Head Road on the right hand side. Please do not park in the Elvina Walking Track car park – this not only assists our marshalls when they head up there to set up for the finish, but also assists with our relations with the National Parks. This gives riders more room while waiting to start.
Entry Fee: $30 Adults & $10 Juniors– with a current RACE licence from AusCycling. If you had a Cycling Australia or MTBA licence prior to 1 Nov and it’s still current then it will be valid. PRE ENTRIES ONLY, unfortunately no on-the-day entries can be taken.
Race Date: Sunday, 25 April 2021
Race start time: From 6:45am. Start times are on the entry portal. Please arrive only 15 minutes before your grade to minimise contact across grades.
- Race number collection and start/finish is at Elvina Walking Track Car Park, West Head Road.
Toilets: No toilets at the race start/finish. Toilets are located at Terrey Hills Community Centre, McCarrs Creek Reserve, Church Point, or past the race start at Resolute picnic area.
Volunteers? Our events only happen with the assistance of 100s of volunteers. We need your help! Email us at email@example.com to help out. All riders, parents, partners or friends from any club are welcome to help out.
GRADES ON RACE DAY?
Women’s A – 3 Laps (approx 65km)
Women’s B – 2 Laps (approx 45km)
Women’s C – 1 Lap (approx 25km)
Men’s Elite – 4 Laps (approx 90km)
Masters 50+ Years – 3 Laps (approx 65km)
A Masters 40+ Years – 3 Laps (approx 65km)
B Grade – 3 Laps (approx 65km)
C Grade – 2 Laps (approx 45km)
D Grade – 1 Lap (approx 25km)
What grade should I enter? Ask your mates is the easiest option. Average speeds do vary but as a guide here are some average speeds from our mens’ grades: A – 39km/h, B 36km, C 34km/h and D 30 km/h.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW!
- Please enter your correct licence number on the entry system, these will be checked against the AusCycling database. We are not checking them on the day.
- There are NO on the day entries. Forget about it!
- Please do not arrive prior to your recommended time, that will be advised in a pre-race email. You should not arrive more than 10 minutes to your start time to collect your race number ( this will be pre allocated and you need to know your number)
- Post race, the focus is on racing and then leaving the area. There will be no formal presentations post race. Only the podium winners will be required for a brief photo post race.
- You do not need to return your number. Keep your germs to yourself!
- There will be no supplied food or water. You must be self sufficient.
- Prize money will be transferred to the winners via EFT.
- If you use gels or energy wrappers, please put your empty wrappers in your pockets and take them home with you. The National Park or our ute/trailer are not rubbish dumps.
Racing is relatively simple to do so stop putting it off and just do it. Here are some tips to get you going and you can read a full guide here :
- You need a RACE licence from AusCycling. There are short and long-term options available. If in doubt, choose MWCC as your club!
- Enter the race online at Buncheur.com . Make sure you do this by the Friday before the race. There are NO on the day entries.
- On the day, you should arrive not more than 15 minutes before your start time, collect your race number. Stick it on your bike and you’re ready to go.
- Work out how long it will take you to get to the course whether you are driving and/or riding.
- Bring enough food and water for your race distance plus riding to and from the race.
- Check out the course before the race if you haven’t been to West Head. This will make it easier on race day.
- Want to go faster? Get specific and train on the course. Do some efforts on a non-race day and it will help with the intensity of the race.
- Tried your first race and got dropped? You won’t win it first go. Racing takes some getting used to, both strategically and physically. Commit to coming back and you will see yourself improve. One or two goes won’t do it.
If you use gel or energy wrappers, please put your empty wrappers in your pockets and take them home with you. The National Park or our ute/trailer are not rubbish dumps.